Wednesday 30 October 2019

My travel gear...

... or practising your repertoire on the go.

I spend a few days away from home every week on business, but practice cannot stop, now can it? (Unless for the occasional blog post.) Although I take my car, I still prefer travelling light, with only the indispensable gear. That consists of my faithful Epiphone SG, Barbory, a pick, some cables and my son's old Peavey XPort USB guitar interface. Oh, and naturally my laptop, Pippa, but as she always travels with me, she does not count. If I can't find a stereo lying around to plug these in, I can just use a pair of headphones.

On the soft side of the ware, I use Guitar Rig 5 to spice up the tone. That also covers my needs for a metronome, tuner, audio player and recorder and what is the best: a 2-track looper! What else could be missing?

Oh, yes, something essential: a drum machine and a Youtube player, preferably with the ability to get (at least) the former recorded in the loop. Windows, as we know it, leaves much to be desired in the flexibility department when used with basic audio interfaces. As GR5 takes komplete kontrol (pun-an-intended) over the ASIO soundcard, it is not possible to mix a standalone drum machine or a Youtube backing track to the output, and even less routing any of these audio sources into the GR5 looper.

This is where the story ends. :(

For most, but not for the el cheapo gearhead! So let me show you a few solutions!

Solution No.1

If all you want next to your processed guitar signal is a drum machine, download the VST host by Cantabile and the MT Power Drumkit VST drum machine. As a guitarist you should have GR5, so you can load its VST plugin version into Cantabile alongside MTPD. Cantabile will take control of your audio interface, you can route the signal with MRPD output into GR5, then patch this combined signal into the output and you're done.
However, if you need your Youtube backing tracks too, you shall need something more complex, as I have not found a VST browser plugin yet. So, how badly do you need a solution? Badly enough to click on


From Hungary with love,
BLC

No comments:

Post a Comment

My MusiCredentials

In a world of A-holes with an opinion the question may arise at any point:     ...and may be not answered by my social media sites https://b...